Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Study of The Effects of Assistive Technology on Students with Disabilities

 This article analyzes assistive technology in literature whether literature or manuscript for students with learning disabilities.  Each source selected what critiqued on; types of disability, learning objectives and tasks, types of assistive devices available, application, and competency in matching the assistive technology with a specific disability. In conclusion to this study researched showed that the education (literature) field tends to be limited to development and need assessment focus. Also it states that technological interventions seemed incomprehensive and not straight to the point. Teachers remain unsure and are not at comfort level in regards to assistive technology in their classes especially an inclusive classroom.

Sze, S. (2009). The effects of assistive technology on students with disabilities. Journal of Educational Technology Systems, 37(4), 419-429. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/61846936?accountid=10901

6 comments:

  1. I think technology is very effective in the classroom, things like computers, smart boards, projectors, and websites definately help the students and the teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Courtney Lynn. Technology can only better the classroom experience, because it offers children the opportunity to utilize other means to achieve in learning. Some students will learn more effectively using one method, while others will learn better with a different method. For children with learning disabilities, the availability of different programs and technologies in one classroom will allow the students to find their strength and I think this will ultimately help them in progressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Technology is great in the classroom, but nothing can replace a helpful teacher! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree with both Courtney and Kim. Technology can be amazingly effective in a classroom where students with disabilities are taught, especially in a time where students are constantly on the computer when they go home. Why not bring something familiar to a student with disabilities to support lessons be taught?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that technology is helpful in the classroom if the teacher knows how and what to use it for. This was an interesting blog and very informative. I think that any tool in the classroom has to have purpose and this blog brought up that point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was very informative. I plan on teaching students with disabilites and I also think that technology will be a helpful tool to use in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete